Chairman, Steering Committee: Prof. A K Azad Khan, President, BADAS
Project Coordinator: Md. Kamruzzaman Shubho, AD (Projects), NHN
Member of Steering Committee:
- Prof. A K Azad Khan, President, BADAS
- MD. Sayef Uddin, Secretary General, BADAS
- Dr. M A Samad, CEO, NHN
- Al Hajj Dr. Md. Shahnewaz Chowdhury, president, Narayangonj Diabetic Association
- Bishojit Mozumder, Director (F & A)
- Farook Azam Khan, Advisor, CT Health
- Md. Kamruzzaman Shubho, AD (Projects), NHN
- Amandine Furst, Project Manager, WOF
- Syed Jaglul Pasha, ED, RTM
Universal Health Coverage Plan (UHCP):
Universal Health coverage Plan (UHCP) is group medical coverage to provide essential medical services, out-door & indoor treatment, health education and necessary medicines all in a single package to employees of different industries from different sector in Bangladesh.
Universal Health Coverage Plan (UHCP) is the modified concept of the Health Micro insurance (HMI) project. HMI is a project of BADAS (Diabetic Association of Bangladesh) in collaboration with UICL (United Insurance Company Limited) & New Asia Group of Garment for providing comprehensive Medical Care to approximately 10,000-11,000 garment industry workers. In the pilot phase Swiss Micro Insurance Consultancy Group (SMCG), Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) and BADAS collaborated to set up the initial system from their practical experience and expertise. BADAS has successfully operated the 2nd year of the Health Micro Insurance (HMI) and has provided health care support to the garments workers through National Health Care Network (NHN), one of the largest enterprises of BADAS. For the betterment of the monetary transaction without insurance, BADAS is piloting a new concept of UHCP for garment workers in collaboration with WOF.
In this project WOF, BADAS and Garment Industries will collaborate together where WOF will work as a donor, BADAS will work as Health Provider as well as management of the project and the Garment Industries will work as the Health Coverage Receivers. BADAS and Auchan International, a French retailer, through it’s foundation “Weave Our Future” plans to operate a Health Coverage Pilot Project among Ready-Made Garment Workers in the selected factories of Narayanganj area, Bangladesh.
The health care services will be provided through medical centres/hospitals of BADAS situated at Narayanganj and Dhaka. Research, Training and Management (RTM) International will monitor the activities of the project as an independent monitoring organization assigned by WOF for the entire project period.
Overall objective of the pilot project:
The overall objective of the project is to increase comprehensive and universal health services coverage with improved disease prevention, immediate access to health information and services and efficient cost control through a structured health care financing plan. The objective of the project not only provide health care services but also deliver the health educational / Awareness promotion and disease prevention.
UHCP Health Education
Health Education for Employees
- Disease Prevention & Health Preservation
(Hygiene, Communicable & Non-Communicable Disease).
- Food & Nutrition.
- Mother & Child Care.
- Health in Workplace & Personal Space.
- Health Financial Literacy.
Health Education and Awareness through sessions conducted by professional trainer using booklets, leaflets and videos.
Health Education is considered a significant part of the UHCP Package. Effective health education can raise awareness
- To adopt healthy lifestyle
- To adopt better food habits
- To prevent the onset and occurrence of communicable diseases such as malaria, influenza, common cold etc.
- For safety and lifestyle habits at workplace
- About preconception, per-natal, post-natal and maternity care
- About expenditure for health.
New Asia Group (Gazipur)
11,000 employees of New Asia Group were enrolled in a Group Health Insurance Plan and provided comprehensive medical coverage. The partners were:
- The Diabetic Association of Bangladesh (BADAS)
- New Asia Group (NAG)
- Swiss Development and Cooperation (SDC)
- Swiss Tropical and public Health Institute (Swiss TPH)
- United Insurance Company Limited (UICL)
The Factories of New Asia Group (NAG) were
- Knit Asia, Ashulia, Savar.
- Knit Asia Nischintopur, Sahfipur, Gazipur.
- Knit Asia RMG, Shafipur, Gazipur.
- Knit Asia Knitting & Dyeing, Gazipur.
- Salek Textile Ltd, Shafipur, Gazipur.
- Malek Textiles Mills Ltd., Ratanpur.
- Rahim Textiles Mills Ltd., Kaliakor, Gazipur.
- The monthly premium per employee was paid by the employer, New Asia Group (NAG), to United Insurance Company Limited (UICL)
The employees of New Asia Group (NAG) were given primary and secondary essential medical service through Hospitals/Medical Centers of Diabetic Association of Bangladesh:
- Saima Ibrahim Nursing College & NHN Center – Shafipur.
- Dr. Farida Haq Memorial Ibrahim General Hospital – Chandro.
- Faizullah Medical College & Hospital & Razia Nursing College – Khagan.
- Factory Medical Center.
Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BUHS), assisted in the development of the Health Education modules.
Abloom Design Ltd. (Narayanganj)
The Universal Health Coverage Plan (UHCP) with Abloom Design Ltd., situated in Narayanganj, began in may 2018 in partnership with:
- Weave our Future Foundation (WOF)
- Groupe Auchan, a leading French Retail group headquartered in Croix, France.
Research Training and Management (RTM) International as the monitoring agency on behalf of WOF.
Center for Global Health Research (CGHR), a research and education component, of the Diabetic Association of Bangladesh assisted in the development of the Health Education modules.
1500 Employees of Abloom Design Ltd. Are being provided Comprehensive Group Medical Coverage through UHCP.
The UHCP Package Price was equally shared by WOF and Abloom Design Ltd.
The primary and secondary care to the employees of Abloom Design Ltd. Are being provided through:
- Narayanganj Diabetic Hospital – Nagbari, Deobogh, Narayanganj.
- Narayanganj City Center - Chashara, Narayanganj
- Narayanganj Polyclinic - 143 BB Road, Narayanganj
Advanced and specialized medical service was provided through BIRDEM, BIRDEM 2, Ibrahim Cardiac & Research Institute (ICHRI), the apex centers of Diabetic Association of Bangladesh.
The total management of Financial, Healthcare Services and Health Education is done by Diabetic Association of Bangladesh.